It is with both sadness and hope that I announce that our Connecticut BJJ Open, slated to be hosted on March 28th and 29th, along with its Sub-Only Showcase, will be rescheduled for the weekend of August 15th and 16th of this year in the same location (Floyd Little Athletic Center). Our May and June events are currently unchanged.
As an organization, we are always committed to our brand pillars — positivity, transparency, community, empathy, quality, and humanity. In a time like this we can’t be selfish or careless. Instead, we are committed to being selfless and careful. Though we were equipped to take drastic measures to keep our tournament environment clean and disaffected, the most effective way to prevent the spread of any virus is to enact social distancing. It undoubtedly will affect our bottom line and, thus, the impact we can create, but none of that impact is possible without our competitors, fundraisers, spectators, volunteers and staff. Ensuring their health and safety is our utmost concern.
It is not fair of us to continue to leave the status of our event open-ended in the near term in order to hold out hope when all signs point to the situation getting worse before it gets better. The state of Connecticut is currently under a health emergency. The Floyd Little Athletic Center has cancelled all events over the next two weeks and that will likely be extended, thus consuming our weekend and forcibly cancelling our event. All high school sports championships have been cancelled in the state of Connecticut. We have already had volunteers and staff critical to the execution of our event understandably cancel their plans to join us. There is no telling how many more volunteers, referees, and competitors may cancel in the coming weeks and that leaves us unable to promise the safe, high-quality, positive event experience we’re committed to providing.
The only way to react to this is to act quickly, decisively, and responsibly. Our hope is that this change will allow all those involved to better plan their lives over the coming weeks and months to whatever extent that means.
This has been a difficult time for us. We are in uncharted territory, creating and enacting procedures we’ve never had to before, bracing our full-time staff of only three for the inevitable logistical game of Twister we’ll be playing with all those involved in the event. Honestly, my biggest fear used to be that our bracketing manager would get sick or miss her flight (she’s far more important than me). I never imagined an event not actually happening on its intended date. But such is life. We must take action and move forward.
Our Next Steps:
Again, the event is not cancelled. It has been rescheduled for the weekend of August 15th and 16th, 2020, in the same venue – the Floyd Little Athletic Center. The schedule of the event from a timing perspective will remain unchanged, with kids on Saturday, our Showcase Saturday night, and the adults on Sunday. The tournament fundraising website has been updated with the new date and all current registrations will remain valid and fundraising pages will remain active.
**We will be closing registration until April in order to avoid any date confusion made by new registrants who haven’t heard of the date rescheduling**
School owners should remove any posters with the March date. We plan to send new posters and postcards in the coming months.
We do hope you join us as your support is critical not only to Tap Cancer Out but our beneficiaries who will also undoubtedly feel the strain of this crisis.
What You Can Do:
Obviously this change will affect our 700+ competitors already registered in a variety of different ways and we understand whatever approach you’d like to take.
Please read the following protocols before reaching out to us:
If you plan on joining us on August 15th/16th then you don’t need to do anything. Your registration will remain active. If you need to update it in any way (weight/belt) by August, just let us know.
Anyone who would like to withdraw, now or later, may do so by emailing us at email@example.com. If you paid a registration fee, that will be refunded in full. If you registered more than 60 days ago we’ll need to make alternate arrangements (Venmo, PayPal, mailed check) to refund you as our payment processor won’t allow for us to process refunds directly back to cards after the 60-day period. Our policy will continue allowing withdrawals and full refunds until the Wednesday before the tournament (August 13th). Please be patient with confirmation from our side. We will work as diligently as possible.
If you are unsure, please leave your registration active. As the date approaches or you become 100% sure you can’t make it, then reach out to us. You have all the way until August 12th to withdraw and receive a full refund for a paid entry fee. Unregistering now and re-registering later may cause undue confusion and technical issues with duplicate names.
If you are a FUNDRAISING COMPETITOR who can’t make it in August and needs to withdraw from our Connecticut tournament:
You will follow the same protocol by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Any perks you earn will of course be honored. Please reach out to us and we’ll coordinate getting those shipped to you. Please only do this if you do not plan to attend our August event and thus can’t pick them up.
If you earned free entry to the tournament, that may be applied to any tournament in the future and that will never expire.
If you plan to re-register for a DIFFERENT Tap Cancer Out tournament in 2020 and would like to move your fundraising efforts to that tournament, please register for that tournament, let us know, and we’ll move your donations.
As per our policy, donations are made in good faith to support Tap Cancer Out and our beneficiary organizations and are independent of the outcome of any individual’s performance on the mat and will not be refunded due to the schedule change. We will continue to honor all fundraising perks earned regardless of whether or not a competitor will be joining us.
Donations CAN be moved from one fundraiser to another, but that fundraiser will forfeit any perks earned (as the other fundraiser will earn them due to the additional donations).
We are sending a separate email to our Sub-Only Showcase competitors and ticket-holders but just in case, we will reiterate here:
All Sub-Only Showcase matchups will remain intact unless one or both of the competitors request a withdrawal
Since all physical tickets thus far have been sold by hand by competitors, they will need to handle any refunds
Online ticket holders may request a refund directly from Tap Cancer Out
Fundraising perks will of course be honored even if a Showcase participant needs to withdraw
We will begin to actively look for replacement competitors in July and may end up re-opening applications. If you’ve already applied and were NOT picked, your application is still valid and we will still consider you, though it’s not a guarantee that you will be matched up.
We know many of you have been doing a tremendous amount of fundraising and training to prepare for this tournament. None of that is lost on us, and none of that will be in vein. You’ve only become better grapplers and by August you’ll be even better. The funds you’ve raised thus far will make a tremendous difference and with five more months we could make an exponentially greater impact.
Please bear with us as we work with you through this difficult time. This was not an easy or welcomed decision for us. We appreciate all your support greatly and promise to continue our mission keeping the interests of our community of grapplers first and foremost in our hearts and minds.